Dollywood Express
Fact Sheet

  • Both engines are genuine 2/8/2 Baldwin Steam Locomotives. They were built by the Baldwin Manufacturing Company just outside of Philadelphia, Penn.
  • The two engines, named “Klondike Katie” and “Cinderella,” were built by Baldwin in 1943 and 1939, respectively.
  • The two engines were originally built for the U.S. Army, and both were used in Alaska during World War II to haul troops and lumber.
  • The original engine number for “Klondike Katie” was 192, while “Cinderella” was 70.
  • In one day, the train burns two tons of coal and drinks about 4,000 gallons of water. It weighs 110 tons and can carry 550 people in its seven cars.
  • The Dollywood Express provides a 30-minute ride every hour – rain or shine. The ride takes visitors on a five-mile journey through Dollywood, where passengers catch a glimpse of Owens Farm, Rivertown Junction, Craftsman’s Valley, The Village, Country Fair, Showstreet, Jukebox Junction and Timber Canyon.
  • The train has been a part of this location since June 1, 1961, when the park was known as Rebel Railroad. It has been known as the Dollywood Express since May 1986 when the park became Dollywood.
  • Many celebrities and their families have taken a trip aboard the Dollywood Express. The train is one of Dolly’s favorite rides.
  • The train operated during Dollywood’s Smoky Mountain Christmas festival for the first time in 1992. It is decorated with thousands of twinkling lights for visitors to enjoy.